Saturday, September 14, 2013

The South Forty Inches

My garden is pretty much a disaster this year.  The tomato plants started producing late because of the heat and have started dying early just to be perverse.  While the cherry tomatoes were abundant, the large tomatoes--all five of them--probably cost me $25 each. 

The only thing the garden has really successfully produced--besides weeds--is parsley.  While useful, it is hard to build a meal around a plant that is sort of like pubic hair: it's attractive, but you have to push it out of the way before you start to eat.

Even that is now seriously in question.  My parsley is alive with caterpillars, yellow-and-black-striped, big, fat caterpillars.  If it were left to me, I would just spray the plants with Raid and call it good.  (No, I wouldn't worry about pesticides on my food--personally, I think pesticides and cholesterol are probably what give food flavor.)  The Doc, however is about as excited as a boy with a new puppy.  According to her, these ugly worms on steroids will eventually turn into butterflies.  Specifically, Black Swallowtail Butterflies. 

Somehow, The Doc is under the impression that it is okay to sacrifice the parsley crop (you wouldn't believe how much these suckers can eat) so that we can produce a flock of butterflies.  While I admit the butterflies do sort of look like an insect version of the P-38 night interceptors with racing stripes, I can't imagine that they will stay in the back yard long enough for me to even see them after they hatch out.  It is not exactly like a butterfly is useful for anything.

But it has given me an idea.  What would grilled caterpillars taste like?   Think about it--the only thing these bugs have eaten is nice, fresh--and regrettably pesticide-free--parsley.  If you pan-fried them in butter with a lot of garlic and a few chopped scallions....I bet they would taste a little like bacon.  Probably better than escargot.  Linguine a la Lepidoptera. (And it would be an eye-catching dish, too!  Or as the Chinese say: Ho Wok Mei!)

The idea is not as far-fetched as it sounds.  I've eaten fried worms in Mexico.  The Maguey plant--from which we get tequila and mescal--attracts the Tequila Giant Skipper butterfly.  The big red worms that hatch out are considered a delicacy.  While they are often fried and flavoried with lime juice, the best tasting ones can be found in the bottom of a bottle of mescal.

The Doc would never miss a few dozen culled from the herd.  (What is the correct collective noun for a stampede of caterpillars?  In the off chance that no one has yet come up with one--allow me the honor.  From now on, it is a squish of caterpillars.) 

Unfortunately, I would probably find out that pan-fried über worms just taste like chicken.  Lately, everything tastes like chicken--except for chicken and store-bought tomatoes (They both taste like cardboard).

But if the new menu works out as I hope, next year I may just forget all about planting tomatoes, lettuce, and chives, and just plant a few mini-pastures full of parsley for my livestock.  Just in case, I'm working with a pair of noodle-neese pliers and a paperclip to come up with an appropriate micro-branding iron.  Perhaps a flattened W--the Lazy Wiggle.

As a good ol' Texas boy, it is more in my nature to be a rancher than a farmer anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mark,

    You can get an idea of what these things probably taste like by touching one of them on the head. Two orange antenna-like things will pop out and touch you back. Then smell your finger.

    I assume that this is a method of defense. It works for me, as I find it kinda creepy and am happy to leave them alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input. I have spent a little time studying religion, and while it did not reform me, it certainly cured me of a desire to attend church.

    I would recommend to you the writings of Martin Luther: "God's grace is like a caterpillar in a ring of fire." Obviously, Martin Luther is in favor of sautéing the little delicacies. Every attentive student at even the poorest school knows that this great religious leader is always associated with a Diet of Worms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,

    Your picture of the airplane is a Northrop P-61 Black Widow, Not a Lockheed P-38M Lightning. The racing stripes are invasion stripes so the photo is post 6 June 1944 in Europe. PS, The P-61 claimed the last air to air kill of WWII in the Pacific.
    Cheers, Jim

    ReplyDelete

Normally, I would never force comments to be moderated. However, in the last month, Russian hackers have added hundreds of bogus comments, most of which either talk about Ukraine or try to sell some crappy product. As soon as they stop, I'll turn this nonsense off.