Saturday, May 7, 2022

Commencement Time

It is the end of the spring semester, and campuses everywhere are preparing for Commencement Day, a time when students are forced to spend money to rent a ugly bathrobe and sit in a crowded auditorium with inadequate air conditioning while someone the administration hopes will donate money delivers a boring speech giving advice to students who neither asked for it nor will listen to it.  Neither the proud parents in the stands, the assembled faculty, nor the administration will listen to the speech, either, as it is their job to just sit and smile and wonder who started this stupid tradition.

Over the years at Enema U, I sat through dozens of these ceremonies as I owed countless favors to my department head, a kind man who gave me my start in edjumacation.  The university had three commencement ceremonies a year, and I was invariably asked to attend.  I quickly learned the only way to survive the boredom was to take along a book.  After the faculty were seated at the front of the auditorium, Id pull out my book, receiving strong looks of disapproval from my colleagues sitting close by.  Long before the speeches were over, however, these same colleagues would whisper, Dont turn the page yet!

Having attended dozens of these ceremonies, Im an expert on graduation advice.  I should qualify that statement with two caveats, however.  First, while I have been to way too many of these silly proceedings, Ive never been to one of my own graduation ceremonies, though I had half a dozen opportunities, including one this year.  I finished a degree in art history last year, but the pandemic delayed the ceremony until just a few months ago.  I thought about attending, then I laughed and decided I could just read a book at home.

Secondly, I dont have a lot of advice for students leaving college, as I havent done that yet, myself.  I have no idea what these students should do, personally, Id suggest they dont.  Just stay in school forever, its working for me.

While I have no idea what college graduates should do, I can offer some advice as to what incoming college students should do.  Let me give some advice, both unrequested and probably useless, to those high school students who intend to go to college this fall.  I was a student for a long time, then spent a couple of decades teaching, and now Ive been a student again for several years.  Who could possibly know the system better than I?

Heres how to go to college:

First, dont go to a college you cant afford.  Every university, and every department within the university, will look you right in the eyes and tell you that if you graduate from their program, you can easily pay off those hideous student loans they want to saddle you with.  Notice, however, that none of those hucksters will offer to cosign the loan with you.  Ask either the recruiter or your prospective department head what the average starting pay is for their graduates that find work.  If your student loans require more than 10% of what you can reasonably expect to make, that is not a viable major.

Note:  I can just hear you asking, But isnt the government getting ready to pay off our student loans?” TANSTAAFL.  If you dont know what that means, look it up.  (Better yet, improve your education and read Robert Heinleins The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.)  Eventually, even the bloated plutocrats in Washington will realize that if your education doesnt have enough value for you to pay for it, it doesnt have enough value for the taxpayers to foot the bill.

As a student, pick a major that with which you can reasonably expect to earn a living.  Those liberal arts degrees are a lot of fun—I should know, I have a handful of them—but there are no pressing needs for more people with degrees in Music Appreciation.  If your prospective department head doesnt have employment data for recent graduates, thats probably a good indicator that you should pick a different major. 

Heres another way to evaluate a major:  How many math courses does your major require?  There is a direct link between future earnings and how much math is required to graduate.  If your major only requires you to take a math course titled Hooray for Numbers!and is taught in the Education Department, the average pigeon is far more likely to put a deposit on a new car than you are.

As a student, maybe you can take the required general education courses the first year, but as soon as possible and at least by the second year, you should have a plan that will take you through a degree and into your career.  If the only thing that will make you happy in life is that degree in English Literature, then go ahead and get one, but earn that degree at a university that you can afford and preferably while working to defray the cost.  If you think working while going to school is hard, just wait until you try to earn a living with a degree in Gender Studies.

Far too many bright and capable students have been told their whole lives that they should do something good with their lives.  These students come to college, do fairly well, and simply drift through the curriculum, usually winding up majoring in education, sociology, or one of the liberal arts.  These students have no real passion for these fields, they just either find them interesting or fairly easy to finish.  These are the students who end up with high cost degrees, large loans, and little desire to work in those fields.  Ive lost track of the number of students who worked for a couple of years in either social work or public education, only to quit and look for something more rewarding.

Okay, youve picked a major.  Now what?

Pick the right professors.  Sad to say, not every professor in every department is worth a glass of warm spit.  Unless you have absolutely no choice, never take a class from a professor until you find out what the class is going to be like.  Make friends with other students in the department and ask them about their experiences.  Look up the professors class schedule and sit in on a class.  And always look up your professor in RateMyProfessors.Com.  The student evaluations at this site are generally far more honest than those done by the department, as the students believe, all too frequently correctly, that those evaluations are not as anonymous as the university claims. 

Upon taking the class, see who turns up to teach it.  If your professor doesnt show up for the first two weeks, sending either a substitute or a teaching assistant for the first two weeks—drop the course and take it from someone else.  A professor who doesnt respect the class is unlikely to respect a student, either.

Now, that we have a major and the right professor, whats next?  Go to class.  Go to every damn class. 

You would not believe the number of students who regularly skip class.  Why students choose to pay for a class and then do not attend has always puzzled me.  I doubt that movie theaters have a problem with patrons buying a ticket and then not sitting down to watch the movie, yet a ticket to a movie is far cheaper than what every single class costs.  Needless to say, if for no other reason than the instructor will notice who regularly attends, students who are present for every class do much better in the course.

Do the required reading.  Most people would be surprised to learn that a significant portion of every class never buys a copy of the required reading.  Campus bookstores know this and usually only order enough copies of the required textbooks for a fraction of the class.  An even larger portion of the class evidently keeps those books under their bed, hoping to absorb magic vibrations from the pages while they sleep, since they certainly never open the books and actually read them.  Read the damn book before the relevant lecture and you will be more than halfway home.

And my last piece of advice is to learn how to take notes, which is a subject that most schools seem not to bother with.  Learn a good note taking system and use it.  I recommend the Cornell Note Taking System, but there are other good systems.   Take notes, then later that same day, type your notes into a computer, adding information from the professors PowerPoint slides.  Take a look at the two pages of notes to the right.  Which do you want to study the night before the exam.  Not only will this be easier to use, but by typing them the same day as the class, it reinforces your understanding of the material.  Try and find a study partner in the class who will do the same thing and exchange copies of your notes—sometimes another student will hear something or understand something you didnt.

Thats it.  Want to go to college?  Pick a good school, a realistic major taught by good professors whose books you read while going to class and taking notes and you will graduate on time and have a decent career. 

Having done all that, if you feel like it, you can even go to that commencement ceremony and hear a boring speech.  I recommend taking a book.

1 comment:

  1. I got through school and even paid off my student loans, graduating with a BA in English-Communications with a Phys Ed minor. The English degree helped me teach a few years of English classes in middle, junior high and high school and to write reports later when my Phys Ed degree got me a therapeutic recreation job later (a job which paid better than teaching). I even got to be an equestrian therapist for two years. Best job ever. I trained myself. Had never wrangled horses before and suddenly I had 20+ horses and 75 kids to teach how to ride. They were seriously emotionally disturbed, delinquent and mentally ill kids, so the job was something of a moveable feast. I did read a little Hemingway in college.

    Then someone talked me into grad school in psychology. I did not take the advice about checking out your professors first. Turns out my department chairman was an angry lapsed Jewish progressive feminist. And I got in on the strength of very good GRE scores which I thought meant I could handle grad school. The coursework, yes. The politics, No. I was a lamb to the slaughter.

    It was a nightmare. Three women ran the program, the dept. chair, the assistant chair and the vocational evaluation lab. All three had been divorced during their graduate studies and expected students to do likewise. My dept. chair also believed you could not be a Christian and a good scientist. She made several attempts to stand within hearing range of me and proclaim that a good scientist, if asked is there a God, would say no. And decidedly no.

    First day I walked into class with a Christian fish tie tac. Turns out, someone warned me later that for the previous decade the department of rehab psychology accepted 9 students - 8 female and 1 male and every year they kicked out the male except for the year before me. The male sacrificial lamb twigged to what was going on and made friends with the Clinical Psych director who was over the Rehab Psych department. He discovered the Doc had a fondness for esoteric and foreign films so he struck up a conversation at a Christmas party about the film "Rosencranz and Guildenstern Are Dead". He survived to graduate.

    Sadly, I did not, although I continued working in the mental health field for most of the rest of my career one way and another, saddled with psychotherapist level debts without the phsychotherapist level income.

    I've used my training and experience to become what I wanted to be in the first place, but like Colonel Sanders and Grandma Moses, took up my artistic/writing career late in life when I could live on Social Security while writing the great American novel.

    You definitely give good advice. And I would add, don't trust your College Advisor. I was planning to study engineering, but my advisor was head of the English department and they weren't attracting a lot of students there in the economic hard times of the 70s. He warned me there would be no engineering jobs by the time I graduated because the field was flooded. Now with an English major he told me, I could always find work as a teacher..

    On the day I graduated, I checked the want ads. Turns out the Ft. Worth Star Telegram had two pages of ads for engineers. There was no mention of a job for someone with a degree in English.

    So I went on to the nonprofit sector and helped startup 5 nonprofit and educational organizations. Note: they do not call them nonprofits for nothing. Sadly, I was naive and on the strength of my college counselor I got an almost useless (at least for employment purposes) degree. I even turned down a free ride to Rice University my Dad could have got me (He was a project manager for Brown & Root) and an offer by a large commercial construction outfit who would have sent me to engineering school on the strength of a summer's performance recording dump truck loads of dirt for a shopping mall they were building. I showed up every day. That seemed a big deal to them.

    Ah, well. We don't get to go back knowing what we know not of we would all now have kick ass careers.

    ReplyDelete

Normally, I would never force comments to be moderated. However, in the last month, Russian hackers have added hundreds of bogus comments, most of which either talk about Ukraine or try to sell some crappy product. As soon as they stop, I'll turn this nonsense off.